Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sweets for my sweetie




My dear partner in baking crime is having a very busy time traveling for his job. Good for him! But, an hour on the phone just doesn't compare to our half day of together time in the kitchen.

Even so, we have stuff to share.

Those baguettes in the last entry were baked by my father. The recipe comes from Fine Cooking magazine, to which we all three subscribe. Robb and I were so inspired that we decided to make them, even if we had to do it separately... I took pictures of mine, they looked just like my Dad's and Robb reported similar results. Yea team! I doubled the recipe to make 9 of the prescribed size, and one giant one, it is getting ready to rise below.

I didn't like this bread that much. It was tasty enough, but it wasn't what I think of when I think "baguette". All this talk and thinking about bread got me interested in doing some learning. I started at Barnes & Noble thumbing through what I could find. I didn't find a lot on bread, but still managed to leave with an armful of books. One is an old favorite, Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts. So many fantastic recipes, what a treasure. I'm glad to have rediscovered this one. I highly recommend anything by her, she is wonderful. The cookies pictured at the top are her "Old-fashioned Walnut Ice Box Cookies" Call them a Valentine's Day treat for Kevin. He has really enjoyed them, too. Sorry neighborhood tasters- I didn't make the rounds with these.

Janet

Old-Fashioned Walnut Ice Box Cookies
1 3/4 c flour
2 t b. powder
1/8 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
Sift together.
4 oz. butter- Beat to soften
Add 1 t vanilla, 1 c sugar (granulated, light or dark brown- depending on the flavor you want)
Add 1 xl or jumbo egg and 3/4 c walnuts
Add the dry ingredients just till mixed and shape into a log 12 inches long. Chill. Slice into 48 rounds and bake on unbuttered sheets at 400 for 10 minutes.

No comments: